Sunday, November 29, 2009

Week 9, Thing 21 Podcasts

Podcasting is one of those technologies we have used a lot already. We have students making them for various assignments, including a recent poetry assignment. The students recited their poems into a Garageband podcast, and then we added photos taken of artwork they created to represent their poem. The teacher uploaded these to his website for parents to hear and see.

I hadn't realized that there are podcast directories--I will definitely look into those for podcasts that I can use in the library, or my teachers can use in the classroom.

I love the iTunes University, especially the University of South Florida, College of Education, where they have the Lit2Go podcasts of many books read aloud, and the Tech-Ease Classroom tech help. We have used the Tech-Ease podcasts with our fifth graders as they are short, single-topic tutorials on different technology skills that we teach.

3 comments:

  1. I find it really amazing to think about the amount of information and learning that we have available at the tip of our fingers. When you think that in the early to middle 20th Century it would have cost thousands of dollars to get access to what you can get for free now....One of my friends was complaining about the speed of things now.....Reminded me of a book I read when I was in middle school. Future Shock by Alvin Tofler. His premise was that the increasing speed of information would create increasing coginative dissonance - Which is true for many of the digital immigrants but does not seem to be an issue for our digital natives. They have been immersed in the speed of information since birth.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you share your podcasts with a larger community... do you load them on a website and if so is there an easy way? I did a project last year on the Presidents and had each student make a podcast telling about themselves as if they were one of the presidents. The project turned out great except I still haven't gotten it in a final form easy to access form. Any suggestions? Wonderlander

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested in your poetry podcasts. Do you do this in a computer lab? Do other kids have to be quiet when one student is recording?
    How long in terms of class time does it take to get a project like this completed? I would love to try something like this.

    ReplyDelete