Sunday, November 15, 2009

Week 7 Thing #16 Wikis

I feel like I just hit the jackpot when I clicked on the third Wiki in the course list...(do we capitalize "wiki?")...anyway the Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki
is an amazing resource and I got lost in it for a looong time.

For my kiddos, I can see many uses for a wiki in the library. We are going to have a special collaboration with our public library this winter, originally planned as an extension of the "Guys Read" program, but we are expanding it to target all "reluctant readers" male or female. I think it would be wonderful to establish our own little wiki with the students and the adults coming in to read to go on and add comments, reviews, favorite book lists, etc. In addition, we are also doing a "Petersburg Reads" this year for our centennial celebration, and have chosen The Cheechakos, by our own Wayne Short, as a book we will try to get everyone in town to read--it's a book that will have wide popular appeal in this fishing town--not so much a literary masterpiece, as an easily accessible and local read. I can see a wiki having a role somewhere in that as well.

The CSLA2007 wiki, made specifically for the conference, is a brilliant idea for keeping people connected and organized at a large event in a paperless fashion. I love that they included all the links for services and offerings of the town as well. The wiki for the staff at the Albany library looks promising, and I have thought of trying to establish one for our school district staff, but it is something I just haven't gotten to yet...we need a more critical mass of staff to be proficient and interested in the web 2.0 world enough to make it more than just one or two people's online ramblings. I can see having a place to collaboratively work on developing curriculum, to post resources available in different locations for whatever subject teachers are addressing, to list on-line resources others might find useful, etc. At this point, I have just used my library webpage and lots of informative emails, but the wiki would enable everyone else to add their resources and ideas as well. I must say this example has me excited to try this idea again--I think the time is very soon for this to happen!

The school wiki from Westwood High School made me want to work in a high school again--I could see creating some really great things with kids in a Web 2.0 class--sort of like this class designed for/by current students...I think they would be the ones teaching the class--It could even be presented as such--a guide for the adults in their lives! Hmmmm. Only problem would be how many of the tools and sites are blocked/disallowed within our district.

Lots of exciting options here, and I think our staff is ready for this at the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment