Sunday, November 15, 2009

Week 8, Thing #19: LibraryThing

Okay, so I had to really work at liking this site. First glance was "Oh my, so I have to go upstairs to the library, start listing manually all the books on my shelves and then what?" Seemed like a time waster. But once I dutifully loaded about six or seven books I've enjoyed, and then got in and started playing around with the different features the site offers, I am now admitting it has potential. Lots of potential. The reviews, the ratings, the links to events around specific authors and books, the suggestions of other similar books...wow. Okay, so my next question is how does one post ones's library collection--say the over 10,000 v0lumes in my school library? I'm sure there is an easy way to upload all our records so they show up on there, but how? I looked around and couldn't find it.
I created a widget link to my collection, but am not sure what to do with it. That's as far as I've gotten, and then I needed to go shovel snow. Back to the real world. I sometimes think there is too much virtual reality going on in my life these days, and I have to draw the line somewhere! I would like to know an easier way of uploading all the library's books, so people using this site to search for books would find items we have available! Anyone have advice on that?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know that posting all of your collection would be useful, but it might be a great place to post NEW materials, hot series, and just great things that are lost on the shelf that your patrons may miss but would love to use.

    I like the fact that you can read reviews, create reviews and link to other items that you might like. i have found new books to read by exploring on LT.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete