Sunday, November 1, 2009

Voice Thread

Wow. I had learned about Voice Thread in a workshop at ASTE in Anchorage, had played with it a bit, but never followed through and posted or known what to do with it next. I just created a little piece and then explored with embedding it--I put it up both on my Facebook page and here on the blog. I can see doing great things with this and students at school. One of the demo's I watched had a map of the world and students/people logging in to say where they are from. I could see having fifth graders doing their Explorer "reports" and having them use a map upload and then tracing the path of their explorer on it as they narrate events along the way, for just one little example. They could use this for their landforms unit and post a photo of their island, narrate the various landforms and again, draw on them to demonstrate.

I only wonder about the need for email accounts, once again. This is an issue for our students, as they don't have them issued through school, and our school blocks Yahoomail, and others, during the school day. These little safety/security issues create little roadblocks along the way as we push the envelope with new technologies. There's always a workaround if you try hard enough though! Now, I'll check at school to see if VoiceThread is blocked during our day as well...hadn't thought of that!

1 comment:

  1. VT is the best thing since sliced bread -- I love it:-) It is easy to use, has so many applications to education. You can get an educational account (I am not sure of the cost but I think it is about $60 per year for a teacher) and then your students don't need to have an email to participate. Janell Larson at Nunaka Valley uses it with her students and has done so me amazing projects with kids as young as Kindy.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete