Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week 4, Thing #8 RSS Feeds

Well, it turns out I had already established an RSS feed page in Google. Those darn ASTE conferences! We go from room to room in a blitzkreig (sp?) of techno learning, creating accounts for all kinds new-fangle gizmos and thingamajigs, and then when I get home, I can't remember any of it! :)

I have everything from gardening to sewing to yoga in addition to technology, photography and library feeds on there. So many, in fact, it is a bit overwhelming! I think my goal needs to be to streamline it all enough so I can and will actually use it!

I'm wondering if I should have a separate one for personal life and one for my school life--more focused on library, technology, teaching and such. I think that more and more we are merging our professional and personal lives with these technologies, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. If I create an RSS feed blog, and then have a mix of professional and personal feeds coming to it, then turn around and share it with my colleagues or students...where do we cross the line of professional behavior? Hmmm just a thought--same thing with having students/former students/parents of students requesting to be my "friend" on Facebook.

What I like about this RSS reader is that everything comes to one place--things I had forgotten about in the past were sitting there waiting for me when I logged in to my Google Reader page. What I don't like is I have added way too many feeds, and I don't have enough hours in the day to read them all, and my nature is one that likes to be thorough and finish things, so I feel like I'm not "finished" if I don't read all the feeds! Argh!

I really liked the cleaner, simpler look of the Bloglines feed. Maybe I should sign up for that one and make it my "professional" feed and make the Google reader my personal one. I would like to know how others manage the quantity issue and the personal/professional issue!

No comments:

Post a Comment